Although healthy mac and Cheese sounds like an oxymoron, with a few minor substitutions, this feat is possible. Check out this delicious recipe that has become one of my new favorites.
- 8 oz. fat-free cream cheese
- 1/2 head of cauliflower finely chopped
- 12 oz fat-free evaporated milk
- 1 cup fat-free shredded cheddar
- 1 bag of wheat macaroni noodles
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- Bring a pot of water to boil and place cauliflower inside. Boil for 12 minutes or until soft.
- Once cooked, drain water and blend cauliflower until it reaches a paste like consistency.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 and grease a casserole dish of preferred size.
- Bring a pot of water to boil and place macaroni inside. Cook until soft.
- In a separate pot, bring evaporate milk to a simmer. Once simmering, add chunks of cream cheese, stirring until completely melted.
- Combine cheddar and blended cauliflower with evaporated milk and cream cheese. Stir until smooth.
- Drain macaroni noodles laying one layer down in casserole dish. Pour cheese mix over noodles. Repeat layering with cheese mix until dish is full.
- Place in oven covered in foil for 12 minutes.
- Remove foil and sprinkle with bread crumbs. Place back in over for 5 minutes.
Now, time to eat!