What you’ll need:
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tbs chilled butter
- 2-3 tbs water
- Granny Smith Apples
- 1 lemon
- 1 tbs honey
- 2 tbs sugar
- 2 tbs chopped walnuts
- 1 tbs cinnamon
- 1 tbs milk
- Whisk flour, salt and butter in a large bowl. Mix until consistency resembles coarse meal. Add water and knead until dough forms. Flatten into a disk and chill for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Slice top from apples and core the apples placing flesh in a bowl. After coring, brush inside of apples with 2 tbs lemon juice.
Add honey, cinnamon, sugar and walnut to apple flesh. Mix.
4.Place hallowed apples on baking dish and place filling inside.
5. Cut chilled dough into 1/2 inch strips layer over apples. Brush with milk and sugar.
6. Cover with foil and bake for 15 – 20 minutes. Remove foil and bake for additional 15 – 20 minutes or until crust is Golden Brown.