- 2 cups nonfat milk
- 2 large strips of orange and/or lemon zest
- 1 vanilla bean
- 2 large eggs plus 1 egg yolk
- 1/3 cup cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- freshly grated nutmeg, for garnish (optional)
- Combine 1 1/2 cups milk and the citrus zest in a medium saucepan.
- Split the vanilla bean lengthwise and scrape out the seeds; add the seeds and pod to the saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Whisk eggs, egg yolk, sugar and cornstarch in a medium bowl until yellow.
- Gradually pour hot milk into egg mixture.
- Place in sauce pan over medium heat, stir constantly for 8 minutes.
- Add remaining 1/2 cup of milk.
- Place in large bowl and chill til ready to serve.
Recipe from: Foot Network.